Protocol for Parent/Guardian to School Communication
During the course of the school year, situations may arise that require the parents/guardians of our students to contact District staff.
To assure a prompt response, the following protocol has been established to provide guidance regarding to whom parents/guardians should address their questions and/or concerns. It is the Board’s hope that by following this process, the school district will be able to best meet the needs of students, parent/guardians and staff.
By encouraging proactive communication, we endeavor to increase collaboration and understanding with the ultimate goal of supporting what best meets the students’ needs, while also balancing the needs of the school and the district.
It is recommended that parents/guardians should first contact the individual closest to the source of the question. For example, the child’s teacher is the most appropriate person with whom to speak regarding a question about his or her school progress, classroom behavior, and educational program as he/she is most familiar with the child.
Parents/guardians should seek assistance from the building Principal if further guidance is needed. Depending on the situation, the Principal may refer parents/guardians to a specific department or person.
If the situation remains unresolved, the parent/guardian should contact Orvyl Wilson, Director of School Management, 732-873-2400 Ext. 285 firstname.lastname@example.org
Board of Education Meetings
On May 30, 2013, the Board of Education voted to change the format of the Regular Meetings of the Board from two Business Meetings per month to one Work Session Meeting and one Action Session Meeting. Generally there will be two meetings per month, with a Work Session Meeting earlier in the month and an Action Session Meeting later in the month. These meetings will be held at 7:30 p.m. in the Franklin Middle School Cafeteria. Agendas are posted on the District Website in advance of each Board of Education meeting. For details, special meetings or changes, see local newspapers, the District Website (www.franklinboe.org) and Comcast Channel 27/Verizon Fios Channel 34, or call 732-873-2400, Ext. 555.For details, special meeting dates or changes see: local newspapers; District website (www.franklinboe.org); Comcast Channel 27/Verizon Fios Channel 34; or call 732-873-2400 Ext. 555.
The Board welcomes input from parents/guardians, students and community members alike, and encourages participation in its meetings. Such communication is helpful in the Board’s decision making process.
Time is allotted at each Regular Business Meeting of the Board for comments from the public. Parents/guardians and residents are welcome and encouraged to share their interests and concerns. Board policy requires that concerns be first addressed with the most direct and appropriate level of the staff and be directed up the chain of command giving them the opportunity to resolve any outstanding issues.
Please be reminded, however, that although these meetings are held in public, the purpose is for the Board to conduct the District’s business.
The Board of Education recognizes the value of public comment on district issues and the importance of allowing members of the public to express themselves on matters of community interest.
In order to permit the fair and orderly expression of such comment, the Board policy provides for a period of public comment at every public meeting. Public participation shall be scheduled as indicated by the meeting agenda.
The portions of the Board Meeting designated as public comment are limited to thirty (30) minutes. Additional time may be allocated upon concurrence of the presiding officer and by an affirmative vote of the Board.
Please note that the Board cannot respond to any complaints from the public directed at any District employee or student, as the Board must protect each employee and student’s right to privacy.
The Board will not entertain personal complaints from school personnel unless the chain of command has been followed without satisfaction.
As per Board Policy 9325.2, public participation shall be governed by the following rules:
- All persons wishing to participate in a public meeting shall register their intent by raising their hand when requested to do so by the presiding officer.
- A participant must be recognized by the presiding officer and must preface comments by announcement of his/her name, place of residence, and group affiliation, if appropriate. The selection of a group spokesperson is encouraged.
- Each statement shall be directed to the presiding officer; no participant may address or question Board members individually.
- Each statement made by a participant is limited to five minutes in duration.
- No participant may speak more than once on the same topic until all others who wish to speak on that topic have been heard and time permits.
- The presiding officer may:
- Interrupt, warn, or terminate a participant’s statement when the statement is too lengthy, obscene, or disruptive to the meeting;
- Request any individual to leave the meeting when that person is disruptive to the meeting;
- Request assistance of law enforcement officers in the removal of a disorderly person when that person’s conduct interferes with orderly progress of the meeting;
- Call for a recess or an adjournment to another time when the lack of public decorum so interferes with the orderly conduct of the meeting as to warrant such action; and
- Waive these rules when necessary for the protection of privacy or the efficient administration of the Board’s business.