• Counseling Department

    The Role of the School Counselor

    The guidance and counseling department is developmental in nature and is an integral part of the total educational program within the Franklin Township Public Schools.  The program is designed to assist students in acquiring and using life-long skills.  The programs and services provide opportunities for students to foster interpersonal communications, enhance and improve academics, encourage self-awareness, and provide career awareness opportunities.

    Services include, but are not limited to the following:

    • Emotional, social, developmental, and behavioral services to students and families.

    • Academic guidance and support services, including the monitoring of academic performance, coordinating home instruction services, and facilitating communication between school and home.

    • Career awareness, exploration and planning services, including goal setting and decision making assistance for students. 

    • School crisis and intervention referral services.

    • Coordination of state testing programs.

    • Development and maintenance of Section 504 Plans.

    • Collaboration and coordination of services with community agencies. 


    1.       Junior Reserve Officer's Training Corps (JROTC)

    JROTC is not a recruitment program for the military.  Participation in JROTC incurs no obligation toward military service.  Our mission is to build better citizens, not to steer students toward enlistment.  The JROTC program is designed to teach high school students the value of citizenship, leadership, service to the community, personal responsibility and a sense of accomplishment, while instilling self-esteem, teamwork and self-discipline.  Its focus is reflected in its mission statement, "TO MOTIVATE YOUNG PEOPLE TO BE BETTER CITIZENS".  It prepares high school students for responsible leadership roles while making them aware of their rights, responsibilities and privileges as American citizens.  The program is a stimulus for promoting graduation from high school and it provides instruction and rewarding opportunities that will benefit the student and the community.

    2.       Program of Studies

    The counselor is the primary education specialist in helping a student determine what courses he or she will pursue.  A schedule must be based on the students future goals.  The counselor, student and parents, by working and planning together, can select courses appropriate for post-high school objectives.  Counselors will assist in all aspects of those plans including choice of a college, technical or business school, military or employment opportunities.  The counselor can provide information on financial aid and scholarships.

    Students may also visit colleges independently or on tours arranged through the guidance office.  Meetings with college, military, technical and business school representatives can also be scheduled. 

    3.       Schedule Changes

    During the first two weeks of the new school year, students who have errors on their schedules or who have incorrect classes should complete a schedule change request form in their first block class indicating the need for a change.  The student's school counselor will then send him/her a pass to meet.  During the first two weeks of the new school year, students are not to go to the guidance office to make schedule changes without a pass from his/her school counselor.  All students will be sent back to class until the school counselor issues a pass.

    Students entering the office must check in and check via scanner. 

    Decision-making responsibilities in the instances of requested schedule changes shall rest primarily with counselors.  Normally, a schedule change will be entertained only during the first two weeks of a semester.  A grade of W (withdrawal) will be given to each pupil who withdraws from a half-year course as long as the withdrawal occurs during the first half of the semester.  For a full-year course, the withdrawal must occur before mid-term exams to receive a W.  When a student is permitted to drop a course, every attempt will be made to fill that time period with another course.  In any other case a WF (withdraw/failure) will be recorded on the transcript.  No change to a students schedule will occur without the parents written agreement.

    4.       Testing Program

    The testing program in the high school is comprehensive and includes the administration of the NJSLA.  Other tests available to students on an interest or need basis are:  Armed Service Vocational Aptitude Battery, Preliminary Scholastic Aptitude Test (PSAT), Scholastic Aptitude Test (SAT) and Advanced Placement Tests and American College Test (ACT).

    5.       Homework for Extended Illness

    For absences of five or more days, homework assignments should be acquired by contacting the counselor.  School counselors will obtain the work requested and follow up.  Students who are absent for fewer than five days should obtain the assignments from teachers and complete them in the appropriate amount of time discussed and agreed upon with the teacher.

    6.       Home Instruction

    When a student will be absent for two weeks or longer, a parent may make a request for Home Instruction by contacting the school nurse.  The information is sent to Pupil Personnel Services to be evaluated by the school doctor.  The school doctor determines if home instruction occurs.

    7.       Tutoring

    The counselor and parent can assist the student in the following ways:  1) encourage the student to seek help from the subject teacher after school, 2) make the student aware of that teachers availability one day per week for help, 3) arrange in-school tutoring with a member of the National Honor Society at a time convenient for both students, 4) recommend Project Success. 

    8.       Intervention and Referral Services (I&RS)

    Students having academic, behavioral, or relationship difficulties, which interferes with school success may be referred for services through the I&RS by a school counselor, administrator, teacher, or parent. Student referrals to the I&RS Team could result in the student receiving District services under 504 or Special Education.  

    9.   Transfer and Withdrawal from School

    Anyone wishing to withdraw or transfer from school may do so by reporting the withdrawal to the Board of Education.