Dear Parents and Guardians:
Students are required to attend school for 180 as mandated by the State of New Jersey and the Franklin Township Board of Education. Please be reminded that when your child is absent from school a note MUST be submitted within 5 days of the students return to school. All notes will be kept in the student’s folder in the Guidance Department. Below is a list of information for the attendance policy and absence notes:
A note from a parent is acceptable and necessary to excuse an absence. Any student with more that 10 absences within a school year will have their name forwarded to Mr. Dennis Harris, Truancy Officer for the Township of Franklin.
But the note must be for an acceptable excuse in order to excuse the absence, here is the list of acceptable excuses....
- Student illness (physician’s note will be required for continuous absences that exceed 3 consecutive days and will also be required for students who have been absent because of contagious or infectious diseases or conditions as designated by the New Jersey State Department of Health, refer to Policy 5141.22)
- Student recovery from an accident (as supported by a physician’s note);
- Requirements of a student’s individual health care plan;
- A death in the student’s immediate family
- Observance of the student’s religion on a day approved for that purpose by the State Board of Education. This specific information may be found on the New Jersey Board of Education website;
- The student’s suspension from school (excluding a bus suspension);
- Requirements of the student’s Individualized Education Program (IEP);
- Alternate short or long term accommodations for students with disabilities;
- The student’s required attendance in court (copies of court papers should be submitted);
- Interviews with an admissions officer of an educational institution or other education opportunities such as college visitations (limit of three);
- Necessary and unavoidable medical or dental appointments that cannot be scheduled at a time other than the school day;
- Participation in New Jersey’s “Take Your Child To Work Day”;
- Such other cause, which in the judgment of the building principal constitutes a good and sufficient cause for absence from school.