The Role of the School Counselor
The counseling department is developmental in nature and is an integral part of the total educational program within the Franklin Township Public Schools. The program is designed to assist students in acquiring and using life-long skills. The programs and services provide opportunities for students to foster interpersonal communications, enhance and improve academics, encourage self-awareness, and provide career awareness opportunities.
Services include, but are not limited to the following:
Emotional, social, developmental, and behavioral services to students and families.
Academic guidance and support services, including the monitoring of academic performance, coordinating home instruction services, and facilitating communication between school and home.
Career awareness, exploration and planning services, including goal setting and decision making assistance for students.
School crisis and intervention referral services.
Coordination of state testing programs.
Development and maintenance of Section 504 Plans.
Collaboration and coordination of services with community agencies.
BELIEFS AND PHILOSOPHY
The philosophy and beliefs of the programs presented by the school counselors of the Franklin Township Public Schools are:
● Students are our highest priority.
● Students are unique and have the right to develop their individual career and personal/ social potential.
● Students have the right to be treated with dignity and respect and learn in a safe and supportive environment.
● School counselors are advocates for and support each student by fostering student connectedness with peers, staff, and family.
And that our School Counseling Program:
● Reaches all students
● Comprehensive in scope
● Developmental in nature
● Proactive in design
● Part of the whole educational program
● Monitors student progress
● Facilitates services for students
● Advocates for students’ individual needs
● Collaborates with students, staff, and families
● Collects and uses data to drive program decisions
● Encourages the exploration of careers and future educational goals
● Celebrates student success
And that all School Counselors will:
● Plan and manage the comprehensive school counseling program.
● Abide by the professional school counseling ethics as advocated by the American School Counselor Association
● Participate in professional development activities essential to maintaining a quality school counseling program.