Welcome to Teacher Pages at SGS School Grade 5
Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Telephone Number: (732)873-2800
5th Grade Supply List
Mrs. Allen (Literacy/Social Studies) & Ms. Rella (Math/Science)
2017-2018 SUPPLY LIST
· NO lead refill pencils
· NO spiral notebooks
· NO plastic box pencil cases
· 2- boxes sharpened at home wooden pencils
· Large zip lock bag (labeled with name)
· 3- colored pens (ONLY red, purple or green)
· 2-highlighters (any color)
· 2- black sharpies
· 1-box black pens
· pencil case (zipper kind, or the one that slides in/out are great)
· 2- sturdy book covers (brown paper bags work great)
· 2- folders
· 6- marble composition notebooks
· 1- roll of clear (2 inch) packing tape (will be used to cover their two math workbooks, covers rip easily)
· 2- ear buds (1 for home, 1 for school) recommend $10 or less
· 1- box of tissues (for homeroom teacher)
· markers, crayons, colored pencils, glue stick (place in large zip lock bag to be stored at home, occasionally brought to class)
· school planner with pre-written dates (usually provided by school)
in addition to above
SPANISH CLASS: they usually only need 1 notebook & 1 folder, feel free to e-mail that teacher to verify.
** We will label their notebooks, folders, etc. with them in September : )
(4) boxes of Tissues/Hand Sanitizer/Plastic Ziplock Bags /Markers/Crayons
We are very excited about the Goals we have for our students to achieve excellence and the Goals our students will set for themselves to contribute to a very successful school year!
Welcome to an amazing 2017-2018 school year! My name is Mrs. Allen I teach ELA Literacy and Social Studies My team teacher Ms. Rella teaches Math and Science and I am looking forward to an exciting year and an amazing learning environment with our students and the support of our parents. . Our classroom is a dynamic team, we are looking forward to a great year with the support of our parents. If you need to contact me please send an email to email@example.com or sign your child's agenda. Independent Reading is an integral part of our learning environment. Please encourage your child to read at home everyday. We want our students to experience the joys of reading. Read Read Read Most of all for our students to become life long readers. We will be taking the PARCC Assessment this year please check out the information on this Assessment on the New Jersey Department of Education website .
Literacy- Read alouds and independent reading, We are working on Non-fiction Reading and Writing my favorite unit next to persuasive writing and poetry. I can remember when I was 10 and used to read with my parents and discuss the articles that experience was great. I encourage students to read with parents and discuss their books of interest. It is a time to get lost in books and make the characters come to life as well as make text to self text to world and text to text connections. We are currently working with the Columbia University Model for Reading and Writing Workshop in Literacy. It will be a great year filled with rigorous writing and stories that come to life on paper. We will be reading a variety of book genres to challenge our thinking in the area of reading comprehension and making inferences during reading.
In Social Studies we will begin with Unit 1 "The Three Worlds Meet" studying information about Colonialism in America. We will be writing persuasively, and summarizing information about what we read. Students will be summarizing articles in Social Studies and discussing articles in differentiated learning groups. It will be an exciting learning experience. We will incorporate the mini-lesson format from Reading Workshop and use reading strategies in the workshop model in Social Studies. We look forward to an amazing school year.